Academia Timoteo (Timothy) has been commited to educating children in the Greater Philadelphia area for over fifty years. Founded in 1956 by a group working with Baptist Mid-Missions, Academia Timoteo was established in six inner-city row homes to serve the children of the primarily non-English speaking Latino community in eastern North Philadelphia. Today, as one of the few private, Christian schools in North Philadelphia, Academia Timoteo provides a full complement of early childhood care, pre-K-8 education, summer educational enrichment program and after-school programming, serving children in two nearby facilities at North 4th Street and 303 West Lehigh Avenue.
Owned by Iglesia Evangelica Bautista of Philadelphia since 1974, Academia Timoteo currently operates with its own independent Board of Directors and under the administrative leadership of Principal, Gwendolyn Hinton-Freeman. The Board is comprised of thirteen members representing area business, community and religious leaders. As the school has grown throughout the decades positive word of mouth has expanded its area to additional sections of North and lower Northeast Philadelphia, Academia Timoteo’s student body today comprises both Latino/a and a growing percentage of African-American children. Students typically reside in the immediate surrounding Latino corridor as well as in Nicetown, Tioga, Juniata, Olney, and other nearby lower-income neighborhoods of Philadelphia.